Saturday, February 5, 2011

Raising Awareness


This month is American Heart month, as declared by President Obama.  Click here to see President Obama's proclamation.  Part of the proclamation says:  "NOW, THEREFORE, I, BARACK OBAMA, President of the United States of America, do hereby proclaim February 2011 as American Heart Month, and I invite all Americans to participate in National Wear Red Day on February 4, 2011." 

So there I was, laying on the couch last night, when I found myself watching the Barbara Walter's special about heart disease and heart surgeries.  She discussed her own surgery, and interviewed David Letterman, Robin Williams, and former President Clinton.  Each interview discussed how painful the surgery was and how after the surgery each individual felt horrible.  While watching, I managed to get out, "And we wonder why these children struggle to pull through." 

Toward the end of David Letterman's interview with Barbara Walters, David talked about depression.  He said something along the lines of sad is sad, grief is grief, but depression is like a black hole, it is bad.  After hearing how David Letterman summed up depression, I thought back to my life this summer.  I realized very quickly that the black hole he referenced was my home for several months this past year. 

Though I am glad that when I turned on the television last night I saw heart awareness taking place, I am still upset at the fact that they only focused on adult heart disease.  Not one station mentioned infant heart disease, the Norwood procedure, or the number of congenital heart defects that occur each year.

However, that will hopefully be different on February 14, which is CHD Awareness day.  Perfect, right?  Remembering our little heart fighters on Valentine's day, what other day could be better?  You can read more about CHD Awareness day by clicking here.

2 comments:

Jillian said...

I am not sure how I found your blog, but I too just lost my Wyatt James to HLHS. It sickens me that there is so little knowledge about CHDs, so little money for research, etc. I know that I didn't know anything about them before Wyatt was diagnosed!

Sending you hugs this heart month!

Jillian

Laura said...

Every word well said. Every word true. I love your picture... thinking of Wyatt this week as we love our angels together while trying desperately to raise awareness.

To Jillian above, ((Hugs)) and care. I'm sad to hear your lost your Wyatt James to HLHS.

<3 Laura